Unity

Sen. Obama has promised that, when he is President, he will be the great unifier. Does anyone think he really will?

Personally, I hope he does not. I hope he will be the great compromiser. The great builder. The great doer. But unifier? No, thank you. I enjoy differing opinions and mental conflict. It is what makes our nation great!

I can't help but think of a quote from "My Fellow Americans." I can't remember the exact words, but it essentially said, "'Voice of the people'? What 'voice of the people'? We've got 300,000,000 people all yelling for something different!"

So congratulations to Sen. Obama, the President-Elect. I look forward to spending four years fighting Congress for the things that I most dearly believe in, all the while watching you fight Congress for the things you most want.

(And for those of you following along at The Four Corners, yes, I did post this there, too.

Comments

I remember reading that editorial and thinking, "Cool, there are other people who understand my difficulty with this notion of unity!"
Jacob said…
To be 100% honest, I have intentionally ignored a lot of what Sen. Obama has been saying. It's just one of many ways that I try to keep my sanity. However, I would like to offer what may be a counter-point.

There are more ways than one to be unified: unified in efforts, unified in ideas, unified in purpose, unified in goals, unified in actions, etc. I agree whole-heartedly that we should remain independent in our own ideas, because that is how we find our way around to the BEST ideas by debating and discussing.

In this nation, though, and at this time, there is a growing need for us to be unified in our overall purpose. What do we need? What is our purpose, or rather the purpose of our government?

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union...."

Need I say more?

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Who Are You?

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?