When It Rains, It Pours

It is funny the way we use different adages in our lives. We use some of them to describe just the positive. Others to describe the negative. And some don't really describe one thing or the other. We just throw them out there for the heck of it.

I hate sunlight. Or, rather, I hate the brightness of sunlight. I don't know how much this has to do with my vision problems, but even my baby pictures reflect this. Well, at least one of the two does:

Incidentally, I am pretty certain that the background of this photo is fake, but you can see that even the thought of being in sunlight makes me uncomfortable. (And yes, the baby in this photo is me. With my five older brothers.)

Even now, when it is a beautiful, warm, sunny day, I know I will be walking outside and hissing at the sunlight. The day may be wonderful, but it is a knee-jerk reaction. It reminds me of Barney Gumble responding to a door being open at Moe's Tavern during the day:

Blank


Anyway, it seems to me that when someone says, "When it rains, it pours!" they are trying to express that bad things always happen in large numbers. But I'd like to make this a more positive saying. Good things can happen in large number, too. C. S. Lewis put it this way in "The Magician's Nephew":

"When things go wrong, you’ll find that they usually go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start going right, they often go on getting better and better."

So even though Gretch hates the rain, I think I am going to start using this particular adage as a descriptor of great things happening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal