Brief Thought

Gretch and I are watching the 180th Semi-Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this weekend. We're watching online at home, mostly because a) it is more comfortable, b) it is more convenient, c) we can, and d) it allows me to participate in the live blogging and live tweeting of conference.

The last speaker of the afternoon session, Elder Richard G. Scott, spoke about the connection between faith and character. His comments at the very end struck a chord with me that I wanted to share before I forgot it, or before it slipped into the dark recesses of my mind.

After discussing ways in which one can strengthen his or her character, he talked about how character comes to the forefront during trials and struggles. It was at this point that this thought came to me:

When you have true strength of character, your struggles will refine you, rather than define you.

We develop strength of character in many different ways. Whatever you use to develop your inner strength, may it, too, lead to a life in which you are refined by trials, rather than defined by them.


Thanks Lars, for the reminder of this great example of how we may choose to build character.

Comments

Unknown said…
For some reason, I thought of the classic Calvin & Hobbes cartoon where Calvin dressed up as his dad and said "Calvin, go do something you hate. Being miserable builds character." Why do you suppose "building character" is the result of doing things we'd rather not do? (No disrespect intended by tying a comic strip to an apostle...)
Lars, I will admit, every time I hear someone talk about character, that is what I think. And I frequently define character as doing something that makes you miserable. Mostly in jest.
Character might be found and defined in our response to any of life's experiences. An award as well as a punishment might bring out aspects of character that reflect continuity and change within ourselves. Perhaps it makes sense to stop seeing life as a duality of blessing/tribulation (good/evil), but to see it as a process, as an evolution, as a navigation through experiences that each have something to offer, to be gained from.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal