Crocheting

Way back when Gretch was a little girl, maybe about the time she was eight or so, her grandmother on her dad's side taught her how to crochet. Gretch learned how to do some fairly simple stitches, but she didn't stick with it and the skill was lost for several years.

Last year, I decided it was finally time for me to learn how to knit. I had wanted to learn for several years and finally tried. I actually started learning how to knit over the summer of 2011, but my friend who tried teaching me got so frustrated with my inability to hold onto my stitches that she gave up. A few months later, though, Gretch and I both started to learn how to knit by borrowing a very useful book from one of our sisters-in-law. We learned how to knit and both made scarves. Gretch actually made a few scarves.

After spending the winter knitting, Gretch decided she needed to reteach herself how to crochet, as well. She watched a couple of videos on YouTube, looked up some basic directions online, and got started. She crocheted a few flowers for hairclips, then made a cozy to carry her water bottle with her purse. After I started biking to work, I realised that I needed a strap or some sort to keep my pants leg from catching in the gears on my bike. We talked about it, and Gretch decided to crochet one for me.

While she was recovering from surgery, a couple of friends who live in the Chicago area sent Gretch a care package, including directions for crocheting an amigurumi Adipose. While it has been over a month since her surgery, Gretch finally started working on the Adipose this past week. It isn't quite done yet, but here's what she has gotten done so far:


I have been working on my knitting skills, too, but I am nowhere close to where Gretch is at. I've been working on a scarf since July, and I still have very little done. (Part of that is due to having to restart several times and part of it is because I haven't been working on it as much as I probably could. I'll hopefully have it finished before winter sets in!)

Oh, and as far as our sister-in-law's book goes, we gave it back to her and have ordered our own copy, but we just found out today that there is a companion volume just for crocheting! We'll probably try to get our hands on a copy of this, too, to add to our library!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That We May Be Made Perfect In One

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal