Lots of Hair

I can't remember if I shared with my friends and family here what I am doing with my hair these days. I have shared it on Facebook, I have shared it on my teaching blog, and I have shared it on the blog that is tracking the awesome project that involves my hair. And because this blog is meant to be a chronicle of the things Gretch and I are doing, I figured I'd post it here, too. Besides, I think there are some friends and family who don't actually use Facebook or follow my teaching blog, so there's that, too.

I last got a my hair really cut back in March when Gretch last cut it. In early August, I got my hair trimmed and shaped, but that was all. At that time, it had reached approximately 8 1/2 inches in length. It is now somewhere around 9 1/2 or maybe even 10 inches. I haven't measured it lately to verify, though. I do know that when I straighten it out and come in straight back, I look like something that crawled out of the 80s.


Gretch, who had been busy watching a documentary of some sort when I did this, insisted that I get a hair-tie from the bedroom so she could play with my hair. (This has taken the place of her painting my toenails, which she hasn't done since last May.)


My hair is officially long enough to be pulled back in a ponytail! And yes, I have a LOT of grey hairs! She also French-braided my hair, but that didn't work out quite as well:


The reason I am growing out my hair is because I decided to use my hair as an incentive to get the students at my school to read. A lot. The academic excellence goal for the year is for the school community, which includes students, teachers, family, and friends, to read for at least 1,000,000 minutes. When we reach the goal, I will be getting my head shaved. Not cut, not shortened, not buzzed. Shaved. I'm talking about taking a razor blade to my scalp and leaving nothing by a shiny, pale misshapen lump. (I am certain that this is an accurate of my head minus hair. Gretch thinks it will be rounder.) As it is, this is what my hair normally looks like these days:


As of this past Friday (December 7), we are at 162,381 minutes, which means we still have 837, 619 minutes to go. We started this project on September 28, but we've been picking up the pace over the past few weeks as more students have been turning in reading logs. We have a few businesses in the area who have offered to track their minutes, and friends outside the immediate school community. We don't want this be something that is just done by the students and teachers at my school, though. We want friends and family to join in. It is really easy to do, too. All you need is something to read (a book, a newspaper, a magazine, a manual, a blog, Facebook, an audiobook, a graphic novel, a comic book, or even a wordless picture book), and a timer. Record your minutes and send me your log! A version of the official reading log can be found here or here. (They are two sizes: full-page or half-page.) We would love to have you join us!

Also, I am really looking forward to getting a haircut!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal