When One Door Closes...

Shortly after Gretch and I moved into our current place, I was given a calling in church as an Assistant Webelos Den Leader. I was later made the Webelos Den Leader, which is a responsibility I've had for nearly three years. I have loved working with my boys and my Assistant Den Leaders, as well as with the Cub Scout Committee Chair, the Cubmaster, and the other Den Leaders. Over the years, I have advanced all but one of them into the Boy Scouts. All but one earned their Webelos badge and the Arrow of Light and many earned the Compass emblem and one, two, or three Compass Points. Many have earned the religious square knot for our church. So I feel that we have had a very successful Webelos program.

The Cubmaster we had when I started was one of my best friends, and so I worked with him closely in planning Pack Meetings and filling in for him when work or school presented a conflict. I was essentially the Assistant Cubmaster without actually having the title. He was released from this position when he was called to serve in a leadership role, and our new Cubmaster was one of my Assistant Den Leaders. The new Cubmaster did things differently, but he still worked closely with the leaders to make sure that our boys enjoyed coming to den and pack meetings. About a month ago, the new Cubmaster was called into a leadership position, as well, so he, too, was released as Cubmaster.

Two weeks ago, the call to serve as the new Cubmaster was extended and I accepted. Then I promptly left town for a week. Today I was sustained in our church services in this responsibility, which is how we in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints publicly display our desire to support those who serve. (Every person who is giving a calling must be sustained before they take on the responsibilities.)

My one regret during my tenure as Webelos Den Leader was that I never completed the requirements for the Webelos Leader Training square knot. I mentioned this to a guy at our most recent Roundtable meeting (a gathering of all the scout leaders in the area), and he told me that he has one that he will give me once I've finished the requirements. Then I will start working on the Scouter's Key square knot.

I look forward to taking on the responsibilities of being a Cubmaster. I will be doing all I can to ensure that our program continues to grow and improve. I want to make sure that all of our leaders are fully trained and that parents understand their roles in the scouting program. But more than anything, I want to be able to honour the calling and the position of Cubmaster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal