The Truth... About Sour Milk

Alas, it is true, I hate updating my blog. Actually the only blog I currently update now is for one of my graphic design class. Warning: I'm going to start ranting now about something that's stewed in my head for a while so bear with me. As a mandatory assignment we must find "award winning" photography, illustration, design etc. (hence the reason there is a blurry picture of a bulletin board I saw somewhere around town with a huge typo in the typography). I'm sorry, but there's no way I'm going to take the time and hunt down meaningless "award winning" art which may really be worth my time to look at, but because I'm bogged down with so many other assignments from the same teacher (which, btw I have for more than one class) who doesn't understand the fine line between work over load and slave driver. Ok, well he's really not that bad, once you've had him for more than four or five classes. Unfortunately, I've only had him for a few, so I'm afraid I have yet to even be on his good student radar (the first semester I had him he called me a liar and I went home bawling).

So you can understand why I harbour souring feelings on the subject of blogging; Evil teacher+involuntary blogging= Sour milk. But because I'm a good little student I play along with big bad teachers and do as they say. So I start looking for "award winning" art. I go to the library pull out the large Graphic Design Annuals, check them out race to the computer lab, scan as many pages as possible and race back to the library within a two hour period. (why they have a two hour check out for books that they know students need for at least 48 hours is beyond me.) Well during this whole period of me getting a little excersize, which would be good (I could lose a little weight) except I'm stressing (bye-bye weight-loss), bitterness creeps in along with a list of more important things I could be using my time with.

Now everybody knows (or at least I hope) that bitterness leads to bigger badder things like grudges, paranoia, and even depression (I'd go on further down that dark path, but you get my drift and if you don't, you'll know when you grow up); Which, if you've ever experienced or witnessed either, you know first hand that it all just sucks. Pardon my french. And really just doesn't lead anywhere good. So, as any other girl named Gretchen Lois Reger would do, I decided that an alternative path had to be taken. It occurred to me later, well actually, really only earlier this semester, that my slave driving teacher wasn't exactly on top of checking to see if students updated their blogs or if we used "award winning" art. Knowing this, I went to town updating my blog with art that I thought was brilliant or clever, incredible and back-breakingly difficult. I am part of one of the largest online art communities in the world which happens to attract some of the most talented artists of today, leaving me with an ocean-sized amount of high quality and definately (if not already) award winning material.

Of course now I have solved the ever slightly irritating task of find the "award winning" art that my teacher requires, but I had a couple other issues, one of which I solved unknowingly a while ago (again thanks to a few slave drivers back in the day when my formal education was free, at least for me.) I'm one of those special people in the world who really can't express- well I can't even say what I can't express, because when expressing my vocabulary dictionary shrinks to about five words, this is due to the fact that whenever I have to think about expressive words I get really bad brain farts. Anyways, in the case of this class blog I had to express what I found intriguing in the art, what was successful about the piece, what design elements were found in the piece. Ok, brain fart- what the heck do I write? (FYI, gas in the brain can take a while to clear.) I become like your old Windows'95- slow. Eventually I'd finish that blog if that was the only thing I had to do all day, but unfortunately I'm not that special. The solution that I found was actually in my own writing.

I hate to bring another element already into this complicated and lengthy rant, but it's important for you to know that I keep all my papers I've written ever since middle school and occassionally for laughs read them. Despite my wierd uh, hobby, I've learned a few things about myself:

1. I used to put hard thought into my writing, I used to care about what the content of my paper, what my opinions were.
2. Some point in my life (I've narrowed it down somewhere between my sophmore year of highschool and freshmen year of college) I cracked. Somewhere in my head I either went crazy or had a serious stroke of brilliance. My ideas started to change, my opinions becoming more, uh, aggressively protected, I guess you could say.
3. Sarcasm is hereditary and runs in my family and straight through me.

Number three would be the solution I found. And only after having teachers who drove me mad forcing students to write bullcrap papers was my "lovely" gift of sarcasm born. The sarcasm started out really as a form of rebellion against my teachers, but only after I had my freshmen college english teacher inform me of my talent did I ever think of it as a tool. It's not something two years ago that I would have liked to have heard as a solution, but as of today it's the tool I use for my blog. Well, it's still a form of rebellion sometimes, but it works wonders when I need to get my assignments done. Btw, I'm young and the sarcasm is still raw so most of this post really won't make sense.

In case I left some implied detail out, the third issue I mentioned earlier is updating blogs. I'm not good at that. It's really funny, I'm going into a career that involves the internet 70% of the time and I stink at writing emails, writing on online journals and blogs. My communication via internet just doesn't ever work out. It's a weakness I have to overcome, hense the reason I brought up the idea of blogging together with Alex. Oh, and when we get married, this will be a great tool keeping friends and family updated.

Ok my rant is over! Phew! That feels nice to get off my chest. Well that will probably be the first and last rant I ever post. I hope.

Comments

William Reger said…
Interesting bit of prose. Two things: if you are going to bad mouth your teachers, do it more anonymously. And never use my name. Yers, Olaf

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal