On Mandates and Chickadees

About a month ago, my friend Noah went to Nauvoo, Illinois, and, while there, purchased a pretty cool pewter letter opener for me. I has the three celestial stones of the Nauvoo Temple on the handle. Well, more precisely, the handle is a pewter replica of one of the facade pillars. So it has a sun stone, a star stone, and a moon stone. It is pretty cool. It also cost about eight bucks.

Now, while I am more than willing to allow my friends to make purchases as gifts for me, most of the time, I will repay them. Particularly if they picked up a letter opener for me. (For those who are not aware of it, I collect said openers, and own about 115 of them.) It is a not-too-terribly-expensive hobby, but I don't want to be the kind of guy who just assumes everything is a gift. Anyway, the whole point is that I told Noah that I'd pay him back.

Fast-forward to last week. I still had not paid the debt, and we were discussing it. We were also simultaneously discussing the desire to go out and engage in some manly activity. Ergo, we wanted to go to a movie and not bring the girls along. As these two conversations were happening simultaneously, I told Noah that I'd take him to the movies. He asked if I'd buy dinner, too, but I refused. So we planned our man-date.

(We went to see Iron Man on Thursday and it was phenomenal. I'm totally excited for the next installment of the Marvel Studios films. And I'm expecting a Marvel Alliance movie in the not-too-distant future.)

So, when two guys go out to do something, we call it a man-date. But what do you call it when two girls go out? It isn't a girls' night out. That's something different, or so I've come to believe. Noah and I discussed this dilemma, and he came up with the excellent suggestion that we call it a chicka-date, or, to make it simpler, a chickadee. And of course we told Gretchen and Cherry that they had to go out on a chickadee while Noah and I were on our mandate. Unfortunately, Cherry had to work late that night, so instead they went out last night (Friday). And what did they do on their chickadee?

They went to see Iron Man.

Ironic, is it not?

Comments

Adam said…
I love it, Alex! Chickadee really seems to work.

And you and Noah still dating...good times.
Beth Blair said…
LOL, girls like comic books too, in fact I started my brother's collection when I gave him mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Who Are You?

And This Is Life Eternal