Fish Out Of Water

So, I've finally started working as a substitute teacher in the Champaign schools. This actually came as a surprise to me, as I had been told that I would be given a call to let me know I was on the sub list, presumably before getting a call to sub. Instead, I got a call on Monday morning at 8 am asking me if I could sub for a teacher at Carrie Busey Elementary School. Of course I could and I wanted to, so I quickly got cleaned up and dressed as Gretch made lunch for me.

I spent the day as a 2nd grade teacher. It was fun, although I was reminded of why I have a preference for the upper primary grades (i.e. 4th and 5th). Most of the kids were great. Just the little girl who was always bossing everyone around, and the two boys who kept chasing each other until I got frustrated and sent them off to the Assistant Principal. All in all, though, a great feeling to be back in the saddle, so to speak.

Today, however, was a totally different experience. My teaching certificate is a Type 03 SCGE. That means I am certified to teach in an elementary-level self-contained general education classroom. So I assumed that all of my sub assignments would mirror this. Not so. I got called this morning asking me if I could sub for a high school English teacher. I was like, "Well, um... okay... sure..."

I now know exactly what it means to feel like a fish out of water. There was no plan book. There were no notes for me. There was nothing on, at, in, or near the desk to indicate any of the teacher's plans. It turns out she was gone yesterday, too, so I can only assume she took her plan book home over the weekend. (As an aside, I now understand precisely why Karen was so obsessed about all of us student teachers having detailed plans left at the end of each day!)

After two periods of babysitting and feeling like a failure as a teacher, I had a student TA help me with the other two periods. One was relatively successful, although nothing nearly as well-organised as I would have hoped to be. The other was essentially a study period held in the library. (The librarian was gracious enough to let us stay, even though we were not scheduled to be there.) The second-to-last period was for the yearbook club/committee/whatever to meet, and they all knew what they needed to do. And the last period was a planning period. So, really, from about 12:30 to 3:30 pm, I sat around reading, keeping an eye on students, and not doing much. I left the school feeling like I was totally out of my element. When I get called to sub again, I am going to give a preference for the elementary grades. And to think, I actually passed up the opportunity to work at the Early Childhood Center because I wanted to see what teaching high school was like!

And now we wait to see what tomorrow brings...

Comments

Mrs. C said…
Yeah for Alex! So how long are you going to sub at the elementry school? Was it just a one day deal? So exited for you guys!!! Next week-Monday is my 24th bday and I'm thinkin a hereos party would be fun-presents are not a must but always welcome;) Tee he he
Beth Blair said…
Yay! for finally getting to teach. Looking forward to other tales from the teacher man.
Adam said…
Are you still hoping to do the inner-city teaching thing to get the student loan forgiveness deal?

Popular posts from this blog

That We May Be Made Perfect In One

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal