Ruminations

I have been working as a second grade teacher for about two weeks now. For the past week, it has been at the same school in the same class. My second graders are pretty awesome, even though I occasionally want to tranq a couple of them if they don't learn how to sit in their seats and do their work! (Don't worry - I would never actually do this!)

***

I think the United States needs to implement mandatory voting, much like they have in Australia. Before I have someone blow up at me and claim that this is a terrible idea, I think it is important to note the most fascinating feature of the Australian mandatory voting law. If you are not satisfied with any of the candidates, you have the right to cast an empty ballot, and that gets counted.

I think this would stop the foolish notion of a "winning" candidate to think he/she has been given a "mandate" by the voting public. Imagine what would have happened in 2004 if several thousands, or even millions, of American voters had voted "none of the above" in the election! I think that there are several who would be voting this way this year, if they could. It wouldn't stop someone from winning whatever office they are running for. It would just make them realise how many people said they were not going to vote for the "lesser of two evils".

***

My neighbours to the south and to the west are awesome. Those to the east are currently non-existent. Those to the southeast are not terrible, and those to the southwest are the worst neighbours ever.

***

I have recently learned that a teacher told a student that her questions were a waste of time. I have decided that people like that should be put in stocks and fed nothing but a bucket of fish heads once a week. Who on earth goes out of their way to destroy a child's curiosity???

Comments

Unknown said…
Also, preferential voting. That way voting for minor parties is not completely pointless!
Mrs. C said…
Aww-do you mean us neighbors at the south?!?! Cuz we love you guys too!!! Seriously-we look forward to you guys coming over every week to hang out:)
Tom/Tabitha said…
Hey! You have another blog! Cool!

I like reading your thoughts.'

Tabitha

Popular posts from this blog

That We May Be Made Perfect In One

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal