Teaching Update

So now that I have bombarded you guys with my political views and random ruminations, I suppose it is time for an update on the life of your favourite substitute teacher!

I've been working just about every day in the Champaign schools. After that first disastrous encounter with high school, the district has been kind enough to keep my activities limited to the elementary level. While I am sure that I would do fine in a high school setting with actual lesson plans, I am just much more comfortable teaching in the grade schools!

I spent two weeks as a 2nd grade teacher at Dr. Howard Elementary. The class was a bit unruly at times, but, dang it, I just can't help but love the kids! I have a lovely collection of drawings, origami boxes, and notes that they gave me while I was there.

This week I have been all over the place! On Monday I was a special ed teacher working with four students who are hearing impaired. On Tuesday I was a reading tutor in the morning and a monitor for a 1st grade class that has a student teacher in the afternoon. On Wednesday I was a librarian. Thursday was spent working with an amazing group of 5th graders (more on this below). Today, Friday, was in a 1st grade class again.

On Monday I am interviewing for a 5th grade job at... Dr. Howard! It is for the same class that I was teaching on Thursday. Their teacher took the job of the Student Services Coordinator at Robeson, so, after much tossing about, the principal at Dr. Howard decided to post the job. I am way excited. I love working at this school and the class I am hoping to get is amazing! They all did exactly what was expected of them, they work hard, they know how to have fun, and they are lots of fun to work with! Because I have the support of so many of the teachers, I think I'll have a good chance at getting this job. Obviously, there are lots of other factors that the principal will consider, but she came in on Thursday, and seemed to be impressed by what she saw happening.

Anyway, that's the latest news on my adventures in teaching! Wish me luck, and pray for us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

Who Are You?