If I Can't Get A Hippopotamus...

It is late and nine minutes past my bedtime, but I just stumbled upon something, and I thought I'd make this quick post.

Frequently, I am asked by family members, "What do you want for Christmas?" Typically, my response is one of the following:
a) I don't know.
2) Children's books.
d) Tools are always cool.

Now, occasionally I may throw into the mix something like "socks" or "another hoodie from [insert college/university name here]" but those are rare. Most frequently, I'd say that (a) and (2) are the most frequently given answers.

Nowadays I am also asked what Gretchen wants for Christmas, and that is even tougher. My wife has a lovely habit of dropping hints all the time. Unfortunately, this is one of those rare moments in which I play the role of the stereotypical male. That is to say, I am completely oblivious to said hints. I much prefer someone to hit me over the head with a board (preferably of the 2x4 variety) than simply dropping hints. But, since women are trained to drop hints and play at subtlety (holy crap, that is a crazy looking word!), I must concede that this is one thing with which I must strive for improvement. Anyway, when Gretchen isn't dropping hints, she is offering the oft-heard desire for a Macintosh computer. Alas, such a gift is not yet within the family budget!

So, what did I see just a little while ago that prompted this? Jeff Lindsay, on his wonderful blog, Mormanity, made reference to a book I had never heard of before. It is called "Family Home  Evening for Newlyweds" by Deborah Pace Rowley. It looks cool. I know absolutely nothing about it, other than it's title, but it still looks cool. And since Gretch and I are newlyweds, and the books is only, like, ten bucks, I think I'm going to throw this in as choice the fifth (since I don't think it is possible to get my an "I don't know" for Christmas... although, if you can, wow... extra points for you!)

So for those who really, really, really want to know, here is what I am officially claiming as what I want for Christmas this year (in no particular order of relevance):

Books (particularly those that would be appropriate for an elementary classroom library)
Tools
Socks
College/University Hoodies
"Family Home Evening for Newlyweds"

Comments

Tyler said…
don't forget the always desired gift of "Dibs"

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal