Enjoyment

The other day I was talking on Facebook about my hilarious adventures in looking for part-time summer work, most notably the fake job interview I went to in the morning. I guess it would be more accurate to describe it as a non-existent interview for a most-likely fake job, but whatever. In the course of the discussion, a dear family friend suggested I go into business for myself doing cleaning.

I apparently never told her or her husband about the cleaning business that Gretch and I had owned for a year, run for about six months longer than that, and worked for for the course of three years total. I explained that, having been there and done that, I was never going to do it again.

My father-in-law was surprised by my determination to never again own a cleaning business, particularly since I had seemingly enjoyed it when I did.

Here's the thing: I did enjoy being a small business owner. I did enjoy having a cleaning business. Despite the headaches, the heartaches, the stress, and the frequent desire to just fire all but three employees, I liked what I was doing and I was doing what I liked as a business owner.

But I also knew that being an entrepreneur was not my passion. That has been, and always will be, education. It is what I want to do more than anything else, and it is what I am doing now. I may not have a full-time job as an educator, but I am an educator nonetheless.

There are many things in my life that I have enjoyed doing, but that doesn't mean I want to do them for the rest of my life, nor even that I want to do them again. And since I am currently biding my time waiting for job interviews and there are only so many new jobs for which I can apply in any given day, I thought I'd make a list of some things that fall under this category of "it was enjoyable but never again."

  • School. I'm not talking about school in general. I am talking about each progressive element. Kindergarten was awesome when I was a kindergartner, but I certainly have no desire to be in kindergarten again. This is true for high school in general, as well.
  • Being a paper carrier. I loved doing this. I learned much about the early morning sky, the peace and calm before the sun rises, the beauty of when the sun crests the horizon. I loved being alone with my thoughts. I loved being able to interact with my customers. But to be an early morning paper carrier again? No, thank you!
  • Serving a full-time mission. These two years were incredibly enjoyable years of my life. I learned so much, I developed in so many ways, and I came to better understand my own beliefs as well as the beliefs of others. It was a great experience that I would never exchange for anything. I enjoyed being with the crazy desert folk of southern California, of working with men and women devoted to the gospel of Christ, and of just being somewhere different from Illinois. I loved my mission. But I also knew when I was done. I would like to serve a mission with Gretch when we are old and retired, but it won't be the same thing that I did when I was a young single adult. I know people who have said they'd love to do it again. I am not one of those people.
  • Having long curly hair. I love my curls as they are now. I loved them when they were insanely long, It was so fun to have shoulder-length hair that was super curly. I enjoyed the stares of others, the desire of old ladies to touch my hair, and the attention they brought me. But I also knew that I would get my hair cut and, when I did, I probably would not return to the length I had before. Maybe I will some day, but I really, really doubt that.
  • Student teaching. What a wonderful experience! Working with an experienced educator, learning from her (I didn't have any male cooperating teachers), and getting to know new schools, new people, new systems. I wish I had kept a better log of my experiences as a student teacher. I have reflective journal entries that I wrote for classes, but I don't think they are as open as I would have liked them to be. But now that I am a certified teacher, I have put those experiences behind me.
  • Substitute teaching. This is something I still do, and something that I enjoy immensely. Even though there have been rough days, I have loved every moment of my job. If I were to work as a substitute teacher for the rest of my professional life, I would find joy in it every day. That being said, I am anxious to have a classroom of my own. I want the experiences of being in the same place every day, working with the same people, seeing the same students grow and then move on year after year after year. Subbing is something I enjoy now, will enjoy in the future but once that phase of my life is past, I will be ready to move on.
And that there is the crux of it. I am one who easily transitions from one thing to the next. I love what I do while I do it but when it is time to move on, I move on. I have some regrets in my life, but not many. Life is too short to wallow in regretting what can't be changed. Live in the moment with an eye toward the future. Be there. Have fun. Choose your attitude. Make their day (and your own). That is how I find enjoyment in my life. Happy Tuesday!

Comments

What if you could be a long, curly-haired missionary who was asked to substitute with a student teacher in a kindergarten at the same time the janitor asked you for help cleaning up puke? That would so be your dream job. You could have it all and it would only be for a moment.
Alas, you are missing the key point: I no longer enjoy doing those things (except the subbing, which I will continue to enjoy until the day I am no longer doing it).
But if you could do them all together at once, your temporary, ephemeral joy would be so intense it might jump start an addiction.

I'm being facetious obviously.

I just don't understand how a person could do something for a time, claim to enjoy it, then when the thing is no longer an active pursuit, disavow any further attraction for the thing.

It strikes me as odd.
Gretch Valencic said…
Uh, hello! I played the piano for some time, enjoyed it most of the time and now wish to never play it again, let alone touch one ever again.
Gretchen, my love, you never gave any outward sign that you enjoyed the piano. It was always a trial to get you to practice, and when I gave you permission to stop taking lessons, you were as happy as a clam at high tide. It is easier for me to believe you truly despised the piano. I do not believe your experience with the piano is the same as what Alex describes.
And there, good sir, is the point of this whole discussion: enjoyment is entirely subjective and therefore what one considers enjoyment may not be what the other considers. To each his own, and all the better for it!
In my case, I once gardened. I no longer garden. I derived a certain pleasure from gardening, but quit because other things overrode the pleasure. If I returned to gardening, which is possible, I would expect to enjoy it as much as ever I did. It stands to reason if you like something you will always like it, all things being equal.
Sure, the things that are enjoyed are as varied as the sands of the sea, but the point I'm gnawing at here is why, once you stop doing a thing, you think you will never again enjoy it?
I never said that I will never enjoy anything again once I have stopped. Only that there are many things that I have once done in the past that I enjoyed that I would no longer enjoy.

There are many other things I have done that I will enjoy again. For example, I was a member of the Administrative Team at the Illinois Teen Institute for three years. I enjoyed it greatly. Then I went on a mission and, after returning to ITI, I was a co-facilitator and then a PALS 1 Coordinator (providing special training to leaders-in-training beyond the scope of the regular participant experience). I enjoyed each of those roles.

This year I will be returning to the administrative side of the program, and I expect to greatly enjoy it once again.

But there are some things that, while enjoyed in the past, simply will not be enjoyed again because I have grown past those events. They were meant to be temporary, and so was their enjoyment.
The first two sentences of your last statement, to me, seem to say exactly the same thing. Typo?
Not a typo, and not the same thing at all. Of the set of things I have done in the past and enjoyed, there is a subset of things that I would not enjoy if I did them again and another subset of things which I would enjoy again. In the original post, I focused on the former, not feeling it necessary at the time to discuss the latter.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Who Are You?

And This Is Life Eternal