Live High

Several months ago, there were rumours about a concert coming to the U of I Assembly Hall. I checked at the Assembly Hall's website, and there was no such concert listed. So I thought, "Hm... just a rumour, perhaps?" But then the rumour became more widespread. And then it finally showed up. Along with billboards and radio ads. So it was true.

Jason Mraz was coming to Champaign, and Howie Day was going to be opening for him.

This was, of course, a pretty big deal. Especially since Gretch and I are both huge fans of Jason's music. I'm still not sure how I would classify it. Not really rock, defnitely not alternative, not particularly pop, but not new age, either. Nor is it indie. Really, I think he is almost a category in his own right. But if I were forced to put him into a category, I think I'd go with acoustic pop.

Anyway, tickets went on sale, but I didn't order any, because I wasn't sure if we'd really have the money to go. And then one of the radio stations in town was giving away tickets. When we actually remembered and tried to call in to win them, we usually got hit with the busy/not available message. Gretch and I made it through three times. The first time, she was caller six. The second time, I was caller one. And the third time, she was caller five. Never caller nine.

So then I was talking to Gretch's sister Erin, who said she'd go if she had someone to go with. So then I was like, you know what? Screw the cost. We're going to the concert! So I ordered the tickets. (For all three of us, of course.)

The concert was on Saturday, 2 May. It was awesome! Even if we were in the nosebleed section. And the dude sitting in front of me had a head the size of Sputnik. Jason Mraz is a great performer. (Howie Day is also, by the by.) The coolest thing was how Jason had the audience participate in the music. We spent most of the time sitting, but at the very end, everyone rose to the feet and stayed standing through the encore, when we learned that Mr. A-Z randomly sings operatic arias.

The only disappointing thing about the whole show was that he didn't perform my song. And if you don't know which song is mine, you'll just have to ask Larzipan.

Comments

"A pretty big deal" is of course relative. I had never heard of this fellow until the boy started talking about somebody named M-Raz on his ipod. But then I have gone on public record as having lost all coolness, haven't I, so that may explain it. I'm glad you had fun.
Alas, the trends of the Young and Hip never seem to be a very big deal to the Aged and Decrepit. :P
Unknown said…
Awww, the geek in the pink came to Champaign and I missed it? Well I'm sure you had a blast. I didn't know about the aria thing though. Did he have an operatic tenor or did he mostly just sound like himself?
It was more like an operatic soprano. Very amusing and very random.

Popular posts from this blog

That We May Be Made Perfect In One

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal