Disc Golf

Several years ago, Number Two (aka my brother Aaron) introduced me, and several of my other brothers, to the wonderful sport of Disc Golf. Also known as Frisbee Golf or Frolf. It basically consists of throwing PDGA-approved "Frisbees" (not the actual trademarked Frisbees that you know, though) around a course, trying to get them to land in baskets. Rules of golf apply (each "hole" has a certain "par" assigned to it, etc.)

Anyway, I played this game pre-mission, and then didn't think much of it until after my mission, except fleetingly, until my friend Noah mentioned to me that he had played it on his mission. So I went out, bought some discs, and... didn't do much with them. Until Noah and I decided to go on a double-date and chose Disc Golf as the outing. It was fun, and Noah and I were quite confident we'd make this sport a regular activity.

Forward 18 months later. Or so. Probably longer. Noah and Cherry were up in the Chicago area visiting friends, and Noah introduced Cherry to the sport. They got back from their brief visit on Thursday. On Friday, I happened to be driving around town and decided to call Noah to see when he and I were going to take our wives Disc Golfing. As luck would have it, he and Cherry were planning on going to the only Disc Golf course in Champaign County, at Lohmann Park in Urbana, on Saturday. So I invited Gretch and myself along and plans were made.

Saturday evening, Gretchen was introduced to Disc Golf. She was quite confused by the concept of the game until we got started. Then she picked it up and played quite well for a beginner. I'm still not particularly good, but, then, I've only played it maybe half a dozen times in my life. Noah, of course, totally schooled us all. The second time around, we played with handicaps, and I am happy to say that I played a much better game (although I still ended up over par by two).

And as fun was had by all, we plan on making Disc Golf a regular event. Hopefully this time we will be successful in our endeavour!

Comments

Beth Blair said…
There are courses in all of the local parks around here, one of these days Justin and I might take up the past time.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

Is Civil Discourse Too Much To Ask For?

And This Is Life Eternal