Top Ten Lessons from Jurassic Park

I love the movie Jurassic Park. It was one of the few films I can remember going to the theatre to see with my entire family when I was growing up. I am pretty certain I fell asleep during the opening sequence, but that didn't stop me from loving it.

When my sister Ariana was very young, I was given the task of baby-sitting her over the summer while my sister Amanda was hanging out with Tom and Tabitha in Utah and my brother Adam was causing trouble in Germany. All of my other brothers had moved out. During this summer, we cleaned the house every morning while listening to Les Miserables. Then we would watch the VH1 Top Ten Countdown. After that, we did all sorts of fun things.

One day, Ariana was in a bad mood and just didn't want to do anything. I finally put in a movie. And, despite her young age, she watched it. As the film progressed, she didn't get scared or cry or anything. Except laugh. Especially when the T-Rex ate the lawyer. Yes, folks, I showed Jurassic Park to a very young child. And she loved it! We also watched the uber-cheesy Mormon musical-made-film, Saturday's Warrior. And, despite the incorrect doctrines, cheesy dialogue, false pretenses, and various other shortcomings, I still love this movie, and, I like to think, so does she.

Recently these movies both came up in a conversation with some friends online. As a result, I have compiled the following list, in no particular order, of the top ten things I have learned from the movie Jurassic Park.

1) No matter how dedicated you are to your current project, never pass up the opportunity to appease a crazy rich old man and, in the process, procure funding for many, many years.

2) The best things in life are presented as a complete surprise. Sure, I could tell you what I've done, but it is so much cooler to let you see it, with absolutely no warning whatsoever.

3) Lawyers will always run away and, as a result, get eaten alive. This is cause for laughter.

4) Everyone needs a friend with a big gun nearby.

5) Dressing in black doesn't make you cool. It just makes you look crazy.

6) Children know far more about modern technology than adults ever will. Don't fight it.

7) Green jello is an excellent tool for identifying seismic tremors.

8) Learn to work in a team, like the velociraptors do.

9) A soaring musical score will make your life that much more amazing.

10) When all is said and done, women will rule the earth.

Comments

Tom/Tabitha said…
Not sure why, but Timothy and Christopher also found this sequence tremendously funny when watching this movie for the first time a week ago.
And let's not forget the rules governing who sticks their entire army into the steaming pile of dino-poo.

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal

Who Are You?