Being "In The Know"

I readily admit that I have spent the vast majority of my quarter-century on this planet thoroughly confused. I have been frequently overheard telling people that I really don't know what's going on - that I simply make it up as I go. And yet, for all that, I am finding myself in the peculiar position of being one of maybe a few dozen in the Lower 48 who had heard of Alaska's governor, Sarah Palin.

The odd thing about it is that I did not learn about her from my friends who live in Alaska, or even from those who live near Alaska. I did not learn about her through researching oil exploration in ANWR. I don't recall seeing her name pop up at all in the news about Alaska's Senator, Ted Stevens, being caught up in yet another GOP scandal. I first learned about Gov. Palin when John McCain had secured the GOP nomination. As soon as Sen. McCain had hit the magic number of delegates, the news begin to churn out the list of names of potential running mates. As much as I am growing to dislike the way the members of the Associated Press report (I am starting to think that they are merely the media-wing of the Democratic National Committee), I remember vividly their article on possible VP selections, which listed, among others, Mitt Romney, Tom Ridge, Tim Pawlenty, Joe Lieberman, and *gasp* Sarah Palin.

From the day that McCain clinched the nomination and Romney dropped out, I have held off making a decision about which candidate I would support. I recognise that the President of the United States,while a major power-player in the world and definitely our nation's Chief Executive, is not an elected king. In our nation, the laws are not made by el Presidente. He enforces them. He signs them. But they are actually made by the Legislature. So, really, two bodies that have more than 500 members in all has a much bigger impact on what happens in this nation than the man in the Oval Office does. Shocking, I know. Regardless, I see strengths in weaknesses in both presidential candidates, and I was waiting to see who the VP selections were going to be before making any decisions. I also wanted to wait until the conventions had ended, as the nominees' convention speeches are really how they set the tone of the candidacies and, presumably, their goals as president.

There were two names I saw on the list of potential VP selections for McCain that were key. If either of them were picked, I was 87% sure I would vote for that ticket. These two potential VPs were Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin. And, in my own way, I spent the next few months strongly advocating for these two as McCain's selection (if only he had asked me what I thought!) So, obviously, I am thrilled to bits that Gov. Palin is McCain's running mate. She has all the qualities I would want in the Vice President: she's got experience as an executive, she's intelligent, she's willing to go against the status quo, she is flexible, she quickly synthesises new information and uses that to inform her opinions, she's young, and she's not pro-Party. She's pro-State and pro-America. She is one who helps define her party, not the other way around.

And so, I can gloat that I at least knew who this remarkable woman was long before most, including the pundits and commentators and columnist who make a living out of being "in the know." Point: Alex.

Comments

Unknown said…
I had heard of her before too. I can't remember where, but I think it was in a news report when she was elected governor. Nearly everyone in the media at the time was fussing over how many seats the Democrats had gained in both houses of Congress. One reporter (possibly in an attempt to show how weak Republicans are, although it's also possible he was just looking at up-and-comers in the GOP) covered the election in AK where the incumbent Republican governor had been defeated in the primaries.

Somehow I also think I remember reading about her attempts to tighten the budget, including getting rid of the personal jet and the personal cook.

I don't understand why I have such random things floating through my head without actually knowing where they came from or even when they got there. My brain needs a better filing system.
Mrs. C said…
Oh yes-Sarah Palin. I'm really impressed with McCain decision. Obama has the "black" card while McCain has the "woman" card. Very stratigic of him. So far-I know I'm voting for McCain/Palin. Way to know your politics Alex!!
On another note-you can give me lots of crap for not putting your guys blog on my stalked blogs. I knew I was forgetting someone!! One of my many blonde moments for sure:)

Popular posts from this blog

That We May Be Made Perfect In One

Crafty Craftiness

And This Is Life Eternal